Here are the ten most popular apple varieties in the United States: Red Delicious, Gala, Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, Fuji, Golden Delicious, Braeburn, Pink Lady, Jonagold, and Rome.
Learn more about the top ten most popular apple varieties
- Red Delicious – The most widely recognized apple variety in the United States is the Red Delicious. It has bright red skin and a mildly sweet flavor. As an excellent all-purpose apple, it is often eaten fresh, used in salads or baked goods, or made into applesauce.
- Gala – This apple has yellow-orange skin, red stripes, a sweet flavor, and a crisp texture. It is famous for eating fresh and in salads.
- Granny Smith – Known for its tart flavor and bright green skin, Granny Smith apples are best for baking or cooking. They’re delicious in apple pies or as a complement to savory dishes.
- Honeycrisp – My personal favorite and is a relatively new variety of apples. Honeycrisp has a sweet, juicy flavor and a crisp texture. It is a popular choice for eating fresh and in salads.
- Fuji – Originally from Japan, Fuji apples have a sweet, crisp flavor and a yellow-green skin with red highlights. They are famous for eating fresh and in salads.
- Golden Delicious – This apple has yellow-green skin and a sweet, mild flavor. It is an excellent all-purpose apple, often used in cooking or eaten fresh.
- Braeburn – With a tart, sweet flavor and a firm, crisp texture, Braeburn apples are a popular choice for cooking and baking.
- Pink Lady – Also known as Cripps Pink, this apple has a sweet-tart flavor and bright pinkish-red skin. Pink Lady’s are great for eating fresh and in salads.
- Jonagold – A cross between the Jonathan and Golden Delicious apple varieties, Jonagold has a sweet-tart flavor and a yellow-green skin with red highlights. It is famous for eating fresh and in pies or baked goods.
- Rome – Rome apples have a mild, slightly tart flavor and bright red skin. Enjoy them in cooking or baked goods like apple pies or turnovers.
Check out the varieties we offer at Chelan Beauty/Chelan Ranch Organics. We eat apples every day for many health reasons but also because it's clean eating. Whatever variety you choose after eating your apple, your mouth will feel so fresh and clean. Which variety is your favorite?